Marcus Rashford will not leave Manchester United this summer despite interest from Paris Saint-Germain, sources have told ESPN.
United have issued a hand-off warning after it emerged Rashford’s representatives met PSG chiefs in Paris last week to discuss a potential move.The French side are looking to sign a forward before the close of the transfer window and have made Rashford one of their top targets. But sources have told ESPN that United have no intention of entering negotiations or entertaining bids.
The 24-year-old has a year left on his contract at Old Trafford, plus the option of another season, meaning United can keep him at the club until 2024.
Sources have told ESPN United are keen to agree a new contract with the England striker.
Erik ten Hag later confirmed at his Friday news conference that he doesn’t want to lose Rashford.
“He’s really important. You have seen from the first day I’m here, I’m really happy with him, I don’t want to lose him. He’s definitely in our plans at Manchester United,” he said.
Rashford and his representatives, according to sources, have been aware of interest from PSG dating back to when Mauricio Pochettino took over as manager in January 2021. PSG have indicated they would be willing to hand Rashford a significant pay rise but there has been no contact with United over a potential fee.
Sources have told ESPN the Ligue 1 champions value Rashford at around £60 million while United’s valuation is likely to be more than double that, and in excess of £120m.
Rashford has been central to Ten Hag’s plans throughout the summer and started the 2-1 defeat to Brighton on the opening weekend of the season.
Ten Hag is looking to bolster his forward line before the transfer deadline and is keen to land a versatile winger and a back-up striker.
LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester United closer to deal with Juventus over Adrien Rabiot
The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Rabiot, Man Utd near deal
Manchester United have reached a full agreement with Juventus for a transfer that would see Adrien Rabiot join them for €17 million, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Red Devils director John Murtough now has a meeting scheduled with the midfielder’s mother and agent, Veronique Rabiot, in order to agree terms for the France international.
It is stated by Romano that the upcoming days will be key for the negotiations if Rabiot is to move to Old Trafford now that United are meeting his camp, which is set to happen on Friday.
Sources had previously told ESPN that United had interest in Rabiot, as well as in Bologna forward Marko Arnautovic.
But while talks over Arnautovic fell away quickly, it seems as though the Red Devils are now closer to bringing in Rabiot.
This comes at a time in which Erik ten Hag’s midfield options — especially Scott McTominay and Fred — have come under intense criticism following United’s 2-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion as they opened their Premier League campaign.
If Rabiot does join, he will become United’s fourth signing after Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia.
Rabiot made 45 appearances for Juventus in all competitions last season with six of those coming off the bench, recording two assists.
17.31 BST: With Paris Saint-Germain showing interest in Fabian Ruiz, Napoli have lowered their demands from €28m to €25m with bonuses included, reports Foot Mercato.
Any Napoli move for Keylor Navas is not officially linked, but the Serie A side are now expecting PSG to compromise when it comes to the Costa Rican and support half of his wages during a loan.
16.59 BST: Manchester City are not counting on Barcelona being able to come up with a financial package that would allow the Spanish giants to sign Bernardo Silva, sources have told ESPN.
Barcelona are keen on the Portugal midfielder, but sources tell ESPN that City will only consider a deal if Barcelona can clear a £80m offer, and the Premier League champions are given time to find a suitable replacement.
Get the full scoop in this week’s ESPN Insider Notebook.
16.20 BST: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta hopes former striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will receive a warm welcome to London if he joins Premier League rivals Chelsea from Spanish LaLiga club Barcelona.
ESPN have reported that Aubameyang is one of Chelsea’s targets before the transfer window ends, just a few months after his acrimonious exit from Arsenal. Read what Arteta had to say on Friday here.
15.29 BST: Sergino Dest plans to stay at Barcelona this summer despite reports linking him with Manchester United, the player’s agent has told ESPN’s Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens.
Diario SPORT reported on Friday that Barca are in talks with United over a €20m deal for the United States right-back, who has also been linked with Bayern Munich and Chelsea in the past.
However, while sources have told ESPN Barca are open to offers for a large part of their squad, including Dest, he remains committed to fighting for a place in Xavi Hernandez’s side.
Dest’s agent Joes Blakborn told ESPN he did not want to react to specific reports, but that “despite interest from other clubs, [Dest] will be a part of Barcelona’s future this season.”
Barca coach Xavi told Dest earlier in the summer that he featured in his plans for the upcoming campaign, but the club’s financial situation has forced them to reconsider the defender’s future.
Xavi values the fact Dest can also provide cover at left-back, while he has different qualities to the other full-backs in their squad and is still young.
After heavily investing this summer, Barca are still keen to strengthen in the full-back positions. Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso remains a target after they missed out on Cesar Azpilicueta.
15.11 BST: James Rodriguez wants to leave Qatari club Al Rayyan to return to Europe, according to Marca.
Rodriguez, 31, signed for Al Rayyan from Everton last year but has found his playing time restricted by injuries. Marca say the Colombia international now wants to return to one of Europe’s major leagues but clubs are said to have been put off by his lack of rhythm in terms of game time.
Botafogo, Roma, West Ham, Galatasaray and teams in Greece have reportedly shown interest in Rodriguez, but the attacking midfielder has yet to find a way out. The former Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Monaco star will not be at the World Cup later this year as Colombia failed to qualify for the tournament.
14.35 BST: Chelsea are aiming to strengthen their squad before the Premier League’s transfer window closes with a central defender and a striker the priority, but they will not resort to panic buying, manager Thomas Tuchel said on Friday.
Chelsea lost Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen during the close season before signing Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli, but the Senegal international suffered from cramps and was withdrawn early in their 1-0 win over Everton last weekend.
“We could use one more central defender if you look at the numbers… we play with a back three,” Tuchel said at a news conference, before addressing their need for a forward.
Chelsea’s record signing Romelu Lukaku re-joined Serie A side Inter Milan on a season-long loan, while the misfiring Timo Werner returned to Bundesliga outfit RB Leipzig. They brought in Raheem Sterling from Manchester City.
“We could strengthen our squad in depth. It’s one thing that you wish for and it’s another that’s possible. We’re looking for top quality and top personalities,” Tuchel said.
“We’ll not panic and we will not try to sign players we’re not 100% convinced. All signings so far are fantastic signings and will help us.”
ESPN have reported that Chelsea, who have also recruited defender Marc Cucurella from Brighton & Hove Albion, are also interested in moves for Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana and Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
14.19 BST: Erik ten Hag said he is “convinced” his Manchester United squad will have been strengthened by the end of the transfer window.
United have been heavily criticised by supporters after only bringing in Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia this summer while so far failing to complete a deal for top target Frenkie de Jong.
Ten Hag is still hopeful of landing De Jong while the club remain in talks to sign Adrien Rabiot from Juventus, and the United boss said it is imperative improvements are made before the transfer deadline on Sept. 1.
Asked at a news conference on Friday whether he believed he would have a better squad at the end of the window, Ten Hag replied: “We have to. I am convinced we will have.
“I think we’re co-operating really well [with the club]. I cannot talk about players under contract at other clubs.”
– Notebook: United told Ten Hag to lower expectations
14.05 BST: Juventus have signed Serbian international midfielder Filip Kostic from Eintracht Frankfurt on a deal until June 2026 for €12m, the Italian Serie A club said on Friday.
Juve could pay a further €3m in add-ons to Frankfurt for the versatile 29-year-old, who played 171 matches for the German club after arriving in 2018. He scored 33 goals and made 64 assists for Frankfurt.
Kostic will be Juventus’ sixth signing of the summer transfer window following those of Angel Di Maria, Paul Pogba, Andrea Cambiaso, Federico Chiesa and Gleison Bremer. Juve finished fourth last season, outside the top three for the second successive campaign. They open their new Serie A campaign against visiting Sassuolo on Monday.
13.29 BST: AC Milan and England defender Fikayo Tomori has agreed to a five-year contract extension at the San Siro, according to The Times.
Tomori, 24, has impressed since initially moving to Milan on loan from Chelsea in January last year. The centre-back signed a permanent deal with the Serie A side last summer and helped them win their first league title in 11 years last season, making 40 appearances in all competitions.
The Times say that Tomori has now been rewarded for his performances with a lucrative new deal. Milan were reportedly desperate to keep Tomori at the club in the face of potential Premier League interest. They begin their Serie A title defence against Udinese on Saturday afternoon.
12.57 BST: The return of Diego Costa to LaLiga with Rayo Vallecano is imminent, according to Marca, with the club set to confirm the signing of the former Atletico Madrid and Chelsea forward shortly.
Costa, 33 — who scored 10 goals in 16 appearances on loan at Rayo in 2011-12 — has been a free agent since January this year when he left Atletico Mineiro in Brazil.
Talks with the former Spain international have been handled personally by Rayo’s president Raul Martin Presa, despite some reservations from the club’s coaching staff.
Costa is not expected to be available in time to feature for Rayo in their opening game of the LaLiga season, away at Barcelona on Saturday.
12.32 BST: Manchester City have agreed a €13m deal for Anderlecht left-back Sergio Gomez, The Athletic reports.
City have been looking to strengthen the left side of their defence this summer after letting Oleksandr Zinchenko leave for Arsenal. Pep Guardiola’s side pulled out of the race for Marc Cucurella because of Brighton’s fee demands and the full-back subsequently signed for Chelsea.
Sources have told ESPN that Gomez, 21, is seen as a development signing but could stay at the Etihad Stadium this summer if City are unable to sign another full-back. Gomez is a Spain Under-21 international who signed for Anderlecht last year after coming through at Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund.